Monday, January 26, 2015


Pea Gravel Perfection

The first sign of excitement came when my feet hit the pea gravel.  That feeling of comfort in knowing my next hour would be lived in the moment.  That small beach stone feeling as my body sank a few inches in with each step I took.  Towards the huge yellow masterpiece was always my first choice out of the three staples that made up the pea gravel ocean of fun. The tall yellow masterpiece was made of a hard plastic.  The added touch was a few man-made carvings at the bottom.  Done by teenage rebels.  Jan + Jake with a heart around it.  I love Mary.  And a few vulgarities thrown in the carving mix. But that didn’t make the massive yellow masterpiece any less unbelievably great.  Who knew it could be so much fun for a child. Had a ladder around the back.  I tended to take the path less travelled.  I would climb up the slightly twisted smooth surface, as opposed to going down it on my butt. Sometimes I would take my shoes off because my feet had more grip.  I was the king of the castle when I reached the top.  I could see everything!

The next stop took place on the two rubber seats; the ones that were the perfect height.  My legs could swoop from front to back effortlessly, without grazing any pea gravel through the transitions.  Seriously, it was THE perfect height.   The wind blowing from front to back as I got higher and higher.  That upside-down stomach feeling when I would tilt my head back gave me the giggles.  Some days I would feel risky and would see how far I could jump.  I would propel forward by the rubber seat.   What a great feeling when I landed right-side-up.

Last was the tire, wood and ramp section.  The best for climbing.  The rubber ramp was like a bridge.  My childhood friends and I would put small beach stone in the middle and jump around it.  We would count how many jumps it took to bounce all the stones off.  There were also hidden metal bars that were my hiding place specialty for playing grounders.

Grounders was the best game to play in this pea gravel ocean.  One person would be ‘it’ and would have to keep their eyes closed while trying to tag the other players.  The other players would try to quietly move around and hide from ‘it’.  They were allowed to climb on all three staples but if ‘it’ heard them on the pea gravel then “it” would yell ‘GROUNDERS!’.  If a person was tagged or called grounders on, then the game was over.  The neighborhood kids always played that game.

Upon leaving I distinctly remember the feeling of my feet transitioning from the small soft beach stone to hard pavement.  It was always a bittersweet feeling. Knowing that my hour of fun was up and that it was time to head home.  Nonetheless I always knew I would be back the next day ready for another exhilarating adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, love the post. You are great at using descriptive words, I just have a few small suggestions. 1) I think your story would sound great if you personified the playground. Example: The tall masterpiece that stretched toward the sky was made of a hard plastic. I think, when we were kids, items like playgrounds seemed huge to us, by adding some personification I think it would get readers more into the mindframe of being a kid. 2) the second comment I would have would be to add more breaks into it. influence people to take breaks while their reading your place, should some paragraphs be read slower than others? Those are the paragraph that should have more breaks in them, give your readers more time to reflect while they're reading. Cant wait to read your other articles! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Michelle, First of all I love the design of your blog definitely gives you a good reflection of who you may be as a writer....artistic! The only piece of advice I have would be to break a part your sentence structure a bit so the reader has moments to digest what you're saying. I really enjoyed your expression though and how you develop your writing through descriptive words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenna and Nicole for the advice! I revised the piece to incorporate more descriptive words and shorter sentence structures. I definitely think it reads better now after incorporating those changes!

    ReplyDelete