Monday, January 12, 2015


What matters to you most and why?


Having an identity matters to me most.  I believe both formal and informal education is the best way for myself to find my identity. I always see people I have met over time who have “found” themselves, their calling in life, and wonder why am I so behind? I have friends doing yoga training, finding themselves through meditation and acceptance.  I wish I could do yoga, and have the mindset to focus every day.  I just don’t think I am built to enjoy my mindset and breathing as much as others.  I have other friends who have gone in the direction of starting their own non-profits and have hiked mount Kilimanjaro in the process.  So neat!  Why have I not done something like that? 

By really stepping out of where I am now and looking at all the choices I made I definitely notice that continuing education is a massive motivator for myself.  I am a firm believer that you need to learn to stand on your own two feet before you lean on someone else.  I look up to my mom for instilling that belief in me.  In fact, I think continuing education, whether it be through a formal university or college or just learning via the internet or traveling is essential for everyone who has the opportunity to do so.  It’s essential because it teaches us a broad understanding of three things, things that this messed up world we live in needs.  Those three things are love, compassion and tolerance. 

Education allows us to gain respect for others and ourselves by allowing us to understand things better.  Understanding ourselves, especially, allows us to love in a stronger way.  Education allows us to want to learn about things we never knew and in the process see what others are going through in the world; such as women’s rights in various countries.   It allows us to see more and thus understand compassion in more detail. Tolerance for the choices people make and accepting what choices are made is also essential for things to run smoothly.  As long as we are tolerant of choices that are not having a direct negative impact on the world then through education we can learn to understand, accept and be tolerant of others choices in life.  If everyone accepted these three essentials to living, then the world would be a more peaceful place. 

So I would have to say constantly keeping my mind, body and soul educated allows me to understand  love, compassion and tolerance on a stronger level. Education will help me shape and find my identity.  That's what matters to me most.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I really enjoyed reading your piece. You've put into words something I've always thought but was unable to articulate and for that - I commend you greatly. I think you've tied all elements of a healthy life into your theme of education. The theme is very strong, but if you're looking for advice I think reading this aloud to yourself will uncover some natural breaks. Your sentences are powerful, but I think if some were shortened it would add a real punch. Great work, I look forward to reading your blogs throughout the term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!

      I really enjoyed your constructive criticism. I read my second blog post out loud and found it much easier to bring my voice into the post by doing that. It was easier to bring humor into my writing when I learned where the natural reading breaks were. Reading my blog posts out loud is something I will definitely be doing from now on to ensure my post flows well.

      Kind regards,

      Michelle

      Delete