Tuesday, March 10, 2015


Kent Mason


Kent grew up in Bloomfield, Newfoundland.  It is a very small town about a 20-minute drive from Clarenville, with a population of 250 people.  Growing up by the sea, in a small place, has kept Kent very humble.  He refuses to have people call him Mr. Mason as it makes him feel old, like his father. 

Kent is a shorter man, standing 5 feet 6 inches tall.  He has thinning greyish brown hair on the top of his head.  His thinning hair is a very sensitive subject for him; he refuses to believe he has a receding hairline.  He is also relatively fit, as he does a lot of outdoor activities, such as hunting, building cabins and fixing cars.  With that being said, he has a bit of a belly because him and his buddies love a few tins of beer at the end of a long day.  His eyes are his best feature.  They are bight blue, unlike his three other siblings brown eyes.   His eyes are very kind and slightly tilt downwards.  His kind eyes, humble nature and fit physique make many of the local women swoon over him.  They don’t phase Kent as he is a loyal husband to a wonderful bay woman; his high school sweetheart named Mary.

Friends of Kent would describe him as extremely loyal, almost to a fault.  He has worked the same job, at the paper mill a town over, since he graduated high school 24 years ago. He never complains and never asks for anything in return for favors.   He definitely appreciates the small things in life and he would much rather go on a skidoo or quad trip up Island, as opposed to an extravagant trip on a cruise or down south.  He has a dry sense of humor but it is relatively easy to pick up on once you hang around with him enough.  He loves to play pranks on fellow employees and has won many awards at the paper mill for outstanding employee performance.  He always shows up fifteen minutes early for work so he can enjoy his coffee and read the newspaper.  He likes his time alone as he is introverted.  Many people think he is shy at first, but that is not the case.  Kent is a quiet man, who only speaks when necessary; yet another reason his friends find him loyal and rely on him for advice.  He comes across as very wise for his age.

Kent recently turned 41 on January 5th.  He celebrated by taking a quad trip with a few of his buddies up to the cabin.  He loves cabin parties.  His wonderful wife, had a rectangular pound cake waiting for him.  He is an icing lover and therefore always insists he get a corner piece. He always makes a big wish before he blows out the candles, but refuses to tell anyone to make sure it will come true.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    Great piece! I loved it and can definitely picture Kent. It makes me believe that you had a very admirable dad or father figure growing up, as this is how I picture you relating to the character.

    The only comment I have is to take the word recently out of the last paragraph and maybe adding if it was vanilla or chocolate pound cake (says a lot about a person haha).

    Hope you have a great night!

    Tanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    You did a great job with this assignment! I really felt like I was reading about a real person, and the little details you’ve added such as Kent showing up early for work and being an icing lover add life to the character. You’ve also done a great job of creating vivid rural imagery that seems to fit well with Kent’s hometown and lifestyle.

    I have just a few small edits for you. I think that your first two sentences can be shortened and combined into one. For example, you may want to try something more along the lines of “Kent grew up in Bloomfield, Newfoundland, a very small town with a population of 250 people.” I’m also from Newfoundland so I’m familiar with what 20 minutes away from Clarenville would mean, however I think just mentioning the small population would be enough for those who don’t know much about Newfoundland geography to get a feel for the town, in addition to the other clues you’ve given in the rest of the piece. Also, I think it would be helpful for you to read through you piece out loud to pick up on some little spelling errors and to remove any commas that may seem redundant.

    Great job on this blog, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tanis and Brittany! I actually submitted this piece for marking and included the changes in the one I submitted. I enjoyed your suggestions and found they helped make my post flow better and make the reader understand the character better.

    Thanks again!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete