Wednesday, February 11, 2015


The Shock Value Legend



When I was around five years old, living on Ross Street in Halifax, my parents would constantly trick me.  Most times I would pick up on the trick after, but I remember this one specific trick they did repeatedly that I always believed to be true.  It wasn’t until I was in university that I remembered them doing this and clearly realized it was all a lie. 

My mother, or father, depending on who was feeling like a jokester that day, would both play this trick on my sister and I.  They would start by looking into my ear, in the kitchen.  They always did this trick in the kitchen, which makes sense in hindsight.  This is how it always went down. 

Mom: “Michelle, I think I see something in your ear?!”
Me: “What do you mean?!  What is in my ear?!” 

I would start to panic.

Mom: “I don’t quite know what it is.  Why don’t you close your eyes and I will try to get it out”

I would close my eyes, like she said.

She would act like it was a struggle.  Covering one hand on my ear and really sounding like she was pulling hard to get this ‘thing’ in my ear out.  I was so confused as to why I couldn’t feel anything in my ear.

Then all of a sudden she would get me to open my eyes.  To my amazement, in her hand would be a full egg.  I couldn’t get over the fact that an egg was inside of my ear.  I was very confused as to how it could have gotten deep into my ear.  So for the longest time I thought eggs came from human ears and not from birds.  A smart child I was. 

Whenever I requested that mom or dad pull an egg out of my ear they would refuse to do so.  It was always on their terms.  I thought they were magical wizards.  Clearly, it was because they had no eggs left in the fridge.

To this day my mother and father play this trick, or legend, on my nieces, their grandchildren.  It is so nostalgic to watch my nieces become mesmerized at the sight of an egg coming out of their ear.  It reminds me of the feelings of shock and awe I had when I believed it to be true.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    This is very a funny post. Your parents are quite silly. What a great family 'tradition' to have and pass down to their grandchildren. I remember this trick as well, however I believe it was done with a penny as oppose to an egg. I really enjoy that you would request them to remove an egg from your ear, quite the character!

    I especially like how you write this like a story. This piece is very easy to follow and read - great job.

    I would really enjoy reading more about how you felt when you saw the egg in your mother or fathers hand. Were you scared? Did you ever wonder why it didn't hurt? Perhaps you could include more about how you were feeling at the time, or how your nieces react when this happens?

    All in all a great post and a great story. Thanks for sharing.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    I agree with Jessica on using your 5 senses when describing these situations. Also perhaps give us a bit more background information, like around what age? Saying "young" could be any age between 2 to 10 years old. As a reader I am trying to picture you in this story as I am very visual, I get the sense your about 5 or 6 years old.

    Another thing that might be or might not be possible to add would be to say why an egg? Was this passed down from your grandparents or was this just something silly they did? Were there any other lessons you learned other than eggs don't come from ears, like questioning things, or doing your own research? Do you believe in other forms of magic?

    I have to agree that this was funny story and reminded me of how great magic is, especially to children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies! I will definitely revise the legend to include more senses and how I was feeling. Great points you both make!

    ReplyDelete