The free weights section of the gym
I have been quite diligent lately at trying to stay
active each day. I have been doing a
routine of pushups, crunches, squats and planks as my morning ritual, for about
a month now, to not only get fit but to reduce stress from work and school.
I decided to go to the GoodLife gym for one of my
workouts. I do not have a gym membership,
as I don’t like working out in front of people, especially men. I’m no Skinny Minny, in fact I am more so a
Large Marg. I like to think my clothes
shrunk in the dryer but who am I kidding.
At least I know I am big boned.
I purchased a day pass and decided to face my fear of not
only going to a co-ed gym but to do my workout in the upstairs free weights
section. This section is the most
intimidating of all the sections at the gym.
This is where the big, buff men and women go to lift things up and put
them down. Most of the machines I have
no clue how to work, which is a big part of why I am so intimidated. But my main mission was to whip out my yoga
mat in the corner and workout through my high stress levels in that location.
I distinctly remember being anxious immediately as I walked
though the gym doors. In the change room there were women with six
packs, putting on makeup to workout. I
still wonder why someone would get all dolled up to just sweat it all off. Then
again I guess a gym is probably a great place to meet men, especially extremely
fit ones.
Upon leaving the changing room and walking up the stairs,
where the free weights section is located, I could feel my heart beating
through my chest. An onlooker could probably
notice my shirt palpitate if they were looking hard enough. My face was completely red; I knew that
because my cheeks were on fire. I got a
few looks from a couple guys spotting each other on a chest press, but they
quickly looked away and continued lifting what looked to be about a million
pounds of metal plates.
I set up my mat and made sure to turn my IPod up very loud,
to block out the noises of the gym.
Surprisingly, once I started doing my workout my fear of the room
decreased. I was under the impression
that I would be told to leave because I am not fit enough to be in that
room. Contrary to my belief, that was
not the case, no one said anything to me.
In fact, it was nice having a little eye candy to look at as I did my
post workout stretches.
It was an interesting experience working out in a co-ed gym
with other people around to see my wobbly bits wobble as I persevered through
my exercises. I don’t think I will go to
the free weights section again, as I would rather workout in the comfort of my
own home. But it’s nice to know that my
fear of feeling uncomfortable is in my head and not necessarily in the free
weights room or in the heads of people in the room, especially the eye candy.
Hello Michelle,
ReplyDeleteMy first comment is that I absolutely love your use of humour in this post. I found myself laughing out loud a few times while reading. And you are not a ‘Large Marg’, but nice try haha ☺
I also completely understand how you are feeling in this post. Your description paints a clear picture of the scenario in my head. Since I have felt similar while at the gym, it is easy to relate to this blog post. It took me months to actually face my fear of heading upstairs to the ‘free-weights section’. Then, it took a few uncomfortable weeks up there to really overcome the paranoid, everyone-is-watching-me type of feeling. I am glad you started to relax once you began your workout.
The sentences are short and effective. You include one thought per sentence, which makes it clear and easy to follow. My only suggestion would be to include more about what you saw at the gym and how you were feeling in the moment.
I really enjoyed reading this post. Keep up the great work!
Jessica
Good point Jessica!
ReplyDeleteI was so nervous when I went to the gym I had tunnel vision (just to get in and out). Writing about that would make the viewer understand how I was feeling in the moment more.
Thanks for the comments!